Ciara Doran on Health, Balance and fitness
My name is Ciara Doran, I am 17 years old. I have been swimming since I was 5 and a competitive swimmer from the age of 8. I train in the High Performance Centre in UL and my Coach is Lars Humer. I represented Ireland in Canada in 2014. I compete in both pool and Open Water and have achieved success is both.
I am currently the Open Water National 5km & 17km Champion and hold the Irish Record for the 17km. I am also the Global Swim Series Champion 2016 – 2017.
I have also won National Pool Championship Titles, the most noteable is the National Short Course Pool 1500m.
What are your golden rules for staying in shape?
Eat well, train hard
Listen to your body’s needs
What tips would you give to staying motivated?
Set Goals – Short Term and Long Term.
- Making them realistic and achievable, the more you achieve your short term goals the more you believe in the long term goal
- Make it Fun
- Time management for me is very important.
- Make training an important activity of the day, giving it my full attention.
- Write down your Goals, keep a training log
- Reward Yourself
- Take time after a hard workout to savor the feeling of achievement.
- Be Flexible
- If you’re tired don’t be down on yourself, take a break but get back asap.
Best tips for finding consistency with workouts?
That’s a tough one for me. As everyone differs, this is what works for me
- A proper mix of stress and recovery in training
- Training Specific for upcoming events
- Training needs to be adaptable and adjustable
- Quality over Quantity
- Balanced training
What is your favourite exercise to do in the gym?
Only started Gym training recently have to say bike for now!
Name 3 foods you can’t live without?
- Mother’s homemade pancakes
What would you typically eat in a day?
My day starts at 3:30 am so my eating is varies slightly to other athletes
3:30am tea and toast
After training: chocolate milk and fruit
9:00am Pancakes (Homemade)
Lunch: Fruit, Hot chicken roll
Dinner: Fish / Chicken, veg and potatoes
Nighttime: Noodles, fruit salad
Love my cups of tea!
How do you recover after exercise?
Long Hot Showers
How often would you exercise?
11 pool sessions a week
Training for me starts at
Mon – Fri
5:00am till 7:30am
5.30 pm till 7:30 pm
5:45am till 8.00am
8.00am till 9.00am Gym
Everyone in the Kingfisher would like to congratulate Ciara on her fantastic result at Lough Erne Open Water Swim Challenge 2017 on the 5th August, in an exciting finish Ciara won the 17km Challenge breaking the 10 year record by 2 seconds in a time of 3 hours 56 minutes 18 seconds. Ciara was also the second fastest person male or female over that distance. What a great result!